March 3, 2016
3:00 - 5:00 p.m.
Medical Campus, VA BioTechnology Center
Ball Conference Room
Updated 4/7/2016 at 11:50am
A meeting of the University Council was held on Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 3 p.m. at the Virginia BioTechnology Center.
The following members and alternates were present:
Officers: Michael Rao
Administration: Cathleen Burke, Leila Christenbury, Matt Conrad, Marti Heil, Charles Klink, Luke Schultheis, Niraj Verma, Madelyn Wessel
Faculty: Holly Alford, Nita Bryant, Ross Collin, Dave Dixon, Hani El-Kaderi, TyRuben Ellingson, David Fauri, Rachel Flurie, Stephanie Goldberg, Allison Gregory, Chris Jackson, Leonard Jackson, Victoria Menzies, Joan Pellegrini, Supathorn Phongikaroon, Wayne Slough, Patricia Sobczak, Scott Street, Fernando Tenjo-Fernandez
Classified Staff: Valarie Carter, Christine Costello, Lauren Katchuk, Eileen Truax
Students: Hyunjung Hwang, Megan Peter, Keith Zirkle
Guests: Tom Arodz, Lisa Capelli, Susan Carkeek, Krzysztof Cios, Kimberly Davis, Alena Hampton, Cathy Howard, Alison Jones, Jacqueline Kniska, Justin Moses, John Nestler, Joseph Ornato, MaryAnn Peberdy, Reuban Rodriguez, Laura Rugless, Juanita Sharpe
President’s Report/Comment: Michael Rao – President Rao began the meeting by discussing a quick update on the Governor’s proposed budget, which included funding for new buildings for the VCU Schools of Allied Health and Pharmacy. In addition, Dr. Rao spoke about plans to build a new STEM Building, which will be a science, technology, math and health laboratory facility, resources to engage the student experience, and the opportunity for VCU to advance to level/tier 3 in higher education restructuring.
For Approval (Consent Item) - All items approved
- Minutes of a meeting held February 4, 2016: Michael Rao - Approved
- Proposal to change the name of the Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism to the Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine: John Nestler - Approved
- Policy Proposal on Safety and Protection of Minors: Cathy Howard and Jacqueline Kniska - Approved
- Policy Proposal on Immunization Requirements for Health Sciences Students: Alena Hampton - Approved
- Policy Proposal on Sexual Misconduct/Violence and Sex/Gender Discrimination: Madelyn Wessel and Laura Rugless - Approved
- Proposal to review the Policy Approval Process at the University Council: Juanita Sharpe - Approved
- Proposal to create “The Weil Institute of Emergency and Critical Care Research at VCU”: Drs. Ornato and Peberdy – Approved (A motion was moved and seconded to approve this proposal at the March 3 University Council meeting to ensure final approval by the VCU Board of Visitors at their March 23 meeting.)
- Proposal to create a new Ph.D. in Computer Science, School of Engineering: Krzysztof “Krys” Cios – Krys Cios presented and was available for questions on a proposal to create a new Ph.D. in Computer Science in the School of Engineering. There was one question on the floor.
- Proposal to create a Graduate Certificate in Care Coordination, Center for Interprofessional Education and Collaborative Care: Kimberly Davis – Kimberly Davis presented and was available for questions on a proposal to create a Graduate Certificate in Care Coordination in the Center for Interprofessional Education and Collaborative Care. There were no questions on the floor.
The meeting adjourned at 3:30 p.m.
Thursday, April 7, 2016
3:00 to 5:00 p.m.
University Student Commons