December 1, 2016
3:00 – 5:00 p.m.
VA BioTechnology Center, Ball Conference Room
800 E. Leigh Street
A meeting of the University Council was held on Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 3 p.m. at the VA BioTechnology Center.
The following members and alternates were present:
Administration:Doug Boudinot, Cecil Drain, Jean Giddens, Sybil Halloran, Kevin Harris, Marti Heil, Alex Henson, Charles Klink, Deborah Noble-Triplett
Faculty:Jose Alcaine, Kyungeh An, Gloria Bazzoli, Sama Bilboa y Leon, Alisa Brewer, TyRuben Ellingson, Rachel Flurie, Joshua Galligan, Greg Greenhalgh, Stephanie Goldberg, Chris Jackson, Melissa Jamerson, Susan Lindner, Donna McClish, Libby McDaniel, Victoria Menzies, June Nicholson, Joan Pellegrini, Ravi Perry, Mary Secret, Carlos Smith, Patricia Sobczak, Scott Street, Brian Verrelli, Heinz Roland Weistroffer, Jennifer Wayne, Blue Wooldridge
Classified Staff: Valarie Carter, Christine Costello, Stephanie Nickerson, JaBari Scott, Eileen Truax
Students:Christine Galligan, Logan Hatchett, Anny Joseph, Jenna Pham, Chris Richardson
Postdoctoroal Scholar: Becca Martin
Guests:Kevin Allison, Susan Carkeek, Bill Cole, Paula Gentius, Jacqueline Kniska, Mike Porter, Reuban Rodriguez, Susan Robb, John Ryan
Provost’s Report: Gail Hackett- Provost Hackett began the meeting by discussing the university’s new Strategic Plan (2019-2025). She emphasized the importance of participating in the listening sessions that were being held; there will be additional listening sessions in January. Dr. Hackett said the University Council will receive updates on the Strategic Plan as new developments come along.
Dr. Rao and Dr. Hackett had both received feedback from members who had concerns they were not given the sufficient opportunity for shared governance. With this feedback, they proposed implementing ways to encourage more participation of the Council. One way will be to ask the committees to give reports at meetings to garner more discussion and feedback from members. In addition, Dr. Hackett reminded the Council of the importance of meeting quorum, in order for approval of agenda items. She then opened the floor up for discussion.
- Approval of Minutes
- October 6, 2016. Approved
- Committee Reports and Approval of Action Items – All items approved
- Academic Affairs University Policy Committee Report- Deborah Noble-Triplett and Stephanie Goldberg - Deborah Noble-Triplett shared how the Academic Affairs Committee would give highlights of the policies up for approval. At this meeting, Stephanie Goldberg spoke on the committee’s behalf. The creators of the policies, Sue Robb and Deborah Noble-Triplett, were available for questions by the committee
- Dual Use Research of Concern in the Life Sciences: Sue Robb – Standardized policy set forth by the federal government. VCU has to adopt it and form the committee that reviews the research projects that pertain to the agents and toxins listed. Approved
- Corporate Research Agreements: Sue Robb – This policy goes hand and hand with Facilities and Administration Cost Recovery. It lays out the terms and agreements for negotiating and administering Corporate Research Agreements. Approved
- Facilities and Administration Cost Recovery: Sue Robb – This policy sets forth the requirement for full cost recovery on all sponsored program activities, and establishes the criteria and procedure to seek a Facilities & Administration rate lower than the federally-approved rate applicable to VCU. Approved
- Changing the designation of an Academic Unit from School to College: Deborah Noble-Triplett – This policy establishes the definition for a school and college, and provides clarity and serves as a guideline for changing the designation from a school to a college. Approved
- Information Items
- Faculty Affairs Committee – Mary Secret spoke to the Council about Article VII Section 2. School Governance of the University Council Bylaws. She brought to the Council's attention that not all units have bylaws. The Committee on Faculty Affairs shall regularly review the governance structure of each school. She said the Office of the Provost is taking the lead in developing the bylaws.
Meeting was adjourned at 3:58 p.m.
Thursday, February 2, 2017
3 to 5 p.m.
Monroe Park Campus
University Student Commons