May 8, 2014
A meeting of the University Council was held on Thursday, April 3, 2014, at 3 p.m. at the Larrick Student Center.
The following members and alternates were present:
Officers: Michael Rao, Beverly Warren
Administration: Karen Fields (for Cathleen Burke), James Coleman, Bill Decatur, Cecil Drain, James Frazier, Chris Ritrievi (for Marti Heil), Pamela Lepley, Frank Macrina, Wanda Mitchell, Matt Conrad (for Mark Rubin), David Sarrett, Laura Moriarty, Luke Schultheis, John Ulmschneider
Faculty: Jose Alcaine, Holly Alford, Bob Andrews, Denise Branch, John Cyrus, Stacey Dusing, Jennifer Elswick, David Fauri, Andrea Ferreira-Gonzalez, Paula Kupstas, Fay Parpart, Scott Putman, Raj Rao, Robley Wood, Blue Wooldridge, Ning Zhang
Classified staff: Liz Beirne, Valerie Carter, Pam Mason, Katherine Poarch, Eileen Truax, Felita Tucker-Battle, Elizabeth Woodhead
Post-doc students: Bogna Ignatowska-Jankowska
Guests: Faye Belgrave, Linda Birtley, Doug Boudinot, Delores Carrington-Hill, Allison Jones, William King, Mark Malkin, Paula McMahon, Scott Oates, Napoleon Peeples, Reuban Rodriguez, Carol Scotese, Juanita Sharpe, Brian Shaw, Chris Wagner, John Wiencek
Items For Action
- Minutes of a meeting held April 3, 2014: Approved
- President's Report: President Rao noted the attendance of Richmond Times Dispatch reporter Karin Kapsidelis and a photographer, who were producing an article on Provost Beverly Warren becoming president of Kent State University, and that this is Dr. Warren's last University Council meeting. Nearly 4,500 degrees will be awarded at the May 10 commencement. The Board of Visitors May 9 meeting will vote on a proposed 3.5% tuition increase for the next academic year and a new $50 annual library charge. This increase is modest compared to those at other Virginia universities. Part of the increase will be used to add up to 35 new full-time faculty positions and convert about 18 adjunct positions to full-time term faculty on a temporary basis. Dr. Warren noted that once the adjunct faculty terms expire, regional and national searches would be conducted to replace them with full-time regular faculty. VCU will use its state appropriation to increase financial aid by about $1.2 million in order to attract stronger students.
- Quality Enhancement Plan Update: Gardner Campbell delivered an update on the QEP. The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges agreed VCU is on the right track but is not aligned. Recommendations include: reassessing the scope of the proposal, reviewing the organizational structure supporting the QEP, clarifying the terminology around general education and the core curriculum, improving the monitoring and reporting of student metrics, and clarifying and strengthening assessment plans. VCU's response includes: maintaining high ambition but narrowing the scope, supporting outcomes through university-wide curriculum innovation, and a focus on digital engagement.
Items for Approval (Consent Items)
- Proposal from the Committee on Faculty Affairs to Revise Article VIII of the UC Bylaws: Approved
- New Programs:
- Proposal to establish a Post-Baccalaureate Undergraduate Certificate program in Advanced Media Production Technology, Joe Seipel and Matt Woolman: Approved
- Proposal to reduce the number of credit hours in the Bachelor of Science in Clinical Radiation Sciences, School of Allied Health Professions from 130 to 120 credits, Cecil Drain and Jeffrey Legg: Approved
- Proposal to move the administrative and academic home of the MS in Addiction Studies program (currently known as the International programme in Addiction Studies from the Institute for Drug and Alcohol Studies to the Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology in the School of Medicine, Mary Loos: Approved
- Proposal to create a Division of Neuro-Oncology within the Department of Neurology at the VCU School of Medicine, Mark Malkin: Approved
- University Policies
- University Archives Policy, John Ulmschneider:Approved
- Early Course Registration for Military-Related Students Policy, Martha Lou Green:Approved
For Review (Consent Items)
- New Programs/Organizational Changes
- Proposal to Establish New M.S. and Ph.D. degree programs in Oral Health Research: Dave Sarrett and Oonagh Loughran
Dr. Dave Sarrett and Dr. Oonagh Loughran presented a proposal to establish and implement a new M.S. and Ph.D. degree in Oral Health Research based in the VCU Philips Institute for Oral Health Research and administered through the Department of Oral and Craniofacial Molecular Biology in the School of Dentistry at VCU. The anticipated start date is fall 2015. Core courses will provide students with a fundamental and applied understanding of molecular biology genetics and biochemistry of tissues and disease of the head and neck.
- Proposal to Revise the Master of Science in Rehabilitation Counseling Curriculum From 48 to 60 Credit Hours and to Change the Name of the Degree Program from the Master of Science in Rehabilitation Counseling to the Master of Science in Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling: Cecil Drain and Chris Wagner.
Dr. Cecil Drain and Dr. Chris Wagner presented a proposal that will allow the Department of Rehabilitation Counseling to pursue joint accreditation with its current accrediting body, the Council on Rehabilitation Education and the Council on Counseling and Related Education Programs. This change also will streamline the program for students, who currently must reapply to the post-master's certificate program after earning their master's in order to complete the 60 credit hours required for obtaining Virginia Licensed Professional Counselor status. The change in program title will better reflect the overall curriculum content, which focuses on both traditional vocational rehabilitation and mental health counseling.
Items For Information
- Strategic Discussion on Inclusive Excellence at VCU: Wanda Mitchell, Paula McMahon, Delores Carrington-Hill, Faye Belgrave.
Wanda Mitchell, Paula McMahon, Delores Carrington-Hill and Faye Belgrave led an interactive discussion on inclusive excellence initiatives that their division is undertaking to actualize VCU's commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:00 p.m.
April 3, 2014
March 6, 2014
February 6, 2014
December 5, 2013
November 7, 2013
October 03, 2013
September 5, 2013
April 4, 2013
March 14, 2013
February 7, 2013
December 6, 2012
November 1, 2012
October 4, 2012
September 13, 2012
April 5, 2012
March 1, 2012
December 1, 2011
September 1, 2011
March 3, 2011
February 3, 2011
October 7, 2010
May 6, 2010
April 7, 2010
February 4, 2010
December 3, 2009
November 5, 2009
October 8, 2009
September 3, 2009
April 1, 2008
March 6, 2008
October 18, 2007