November 5, 2015
3:00 - 5:00 p.m.
Monroe Park Campus, University Student Commons
A meeting of the University Council was held on Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 3 p.m. at the University Student Commons.
The following members and alternates were present:
Cathleen Burke, Leila Christenbury, Matt Conrad, Alex Henson, Charles Klink, Wanda Mitchell, Luke Schultheis
Holly Alford, Kyungeh An, Nita Bryant, Ben Darter, Dave Dixon, Hani El-Kaderi, TyRuben Ellingson, David Fauri, Rachel Flurie, Josh Galligan, Chris Jackson, Leonard Jackson, Allen Lee, Katherine Mansfield, Nancy Morris, June Nicholson, Joan Pellegrini, Faye Prichard, Carmen Rodriguez Hernandez, Mary Secret, Wanye Slough, Patricia Sobczak, Fernando Tenjo-Fernandez, Brian Verrelli, Camden Whitehead, Wei Zhang
Valarie Carter, Christine Costello, Katherine Poarch, Felita Tucker-Battle
Kejdi Abazi, MaryBeth DeMarco, Hyunjung Hwang, Paul Lee, Ryan Ortizo, Megan Peter, Malcolm Richardson
Katherine Bassard, Bill Cole, Alison Jones, Barry Lanneau Jr., Christina Lindholm, Jacqueline Kniska, James Mays, James McMillan, Jana McQuaid, Reuban Rodriguez, Susan Robb, Juanita Sharpe, John Venuti
President’s Report - On behalf of President Rao, Juanita Sharpe welcomed the University Council.
For Approval (Consent Item) - All items approved
- Minutes of a meeting held October 1, 2015: Juanita Sharpe - Approved
- Proposal to change the degree name from the Bachelor of Fine Arts in Art Education to the Bachelor of Fine Arts in Arts, School of the Arts: Christina Lindholm - Approved
- Proposal to confer department status to the Political Science program, College of Humanities and Sciences:
Alison Baski - Approved
- Proposal to confer department status to the Sociology Program, College of Humanities and Sciences: Alison Baski - Approved
- Proposal to create a new Doctor of Policy and Leadership Degree, Wilder School: Simon Okoth - Approved
- Policy Proposal on Research Data Ownership, Retention, Access and Security: Sue Robb - Approved
- Policy Proposal on the Honor System: Charles Klink - Approved
- Proposal to create a Spin-off Program: Master of Decision Analytics: Jana McQuaid – Jana McQuaid presented and answered questions regarding a proposal to create a new degree program focus on decision analytics in the School of Business. According to Dr. McQuaid, the new degree program would positively impact the recruitment of national and international students and create a more focus program.
- Proposal to merge the Department of Special Education and Disability Policy with the Department of Counselor Education to form the Department of Counseling and Special Education: James McMillan – James McMillan presented and answered questions regarding a proposal to merge two departments to efficiently administer programs and courses. According to Dr. McMillan, the merge would create a greater collaboration and allow for more research and external funding.
- Policy Proposal on Camera Use: John Venuti – John Venuti presented and answered questions regarding camera use at the university. According to Chief Venuti, the purpose of this new policy is to create guidelines and upgrades to cameras at VCU.
- Policy Proposal on Records Management: Barry Lanneau – Barry Lanneau, with VCU Technology Services, presented and answered questions regarding a policy proposal on records management proposal. The policy details standards and procedures of the records management program. According to Lanneau, this policy would be used for auditing and follow-up purposes.
- Policy Proposal on Awarding of Credit for Military Education: Luke Schultheis – Luke Schultheis presented and answered questions regarding a policy proposal on awarding credits for military education. According to Dr. Schultheis, this proposal expands the current policy, as requested by SCHEV.
- Policy Proposal on Employee-Student Consensual Relationship (Interim Policy): Madelyn Wessel – this policy proposal was moved to the December 3, 2015 meeting for review.
- Policy Proposal on Reporting Sponsor-Investigator Investigational New Drug Applications (IND) or Investigational Device Exemptions Executive Summary (IDE): Sue Robb – Sue Robb presented and was available for questions regarding a policy proposal to further support faculty members who hold IND or IDE. This program works with researchers at the beginning and throughout the investigative process to ensure the researchers are meeting FDA regulations.
- Fraud Identification and Reporting Requirements Policy: William Cole – William Cole presented and was available for questions regarding a proposal on fraud identification and reporting. According to Mr. Cole, this policy would formalize the fraud identification and reporting requirement practices already in place, and supports the university’s compliance with state and federal guidelines.
Meeting adjourned at 3:32.
Thursday, December 3, 2015
3:00 to 5:00 p.m.
VA BioTechnology Center
800 E. Leigh St.
Ball Conference Room
October 1, 2015
September 3, 2015
May 7, 2015
April 2, 2015
Feb. 5, 2015
Dec. 4, 2014
Nov. 6, 2014
Oct. 2, 2014
Sept. 4, 2014
May 8, 2014
April 3, 2014
March 6, 2014
February 6, 2014
December 5, 2013
November 7, 2013
October 03, 2013
September 5, 2013
April 4, 2013
March 14, 2013
February 7, 2013
December 6, 2012
November 1, 2012?
October 4, 2012?
September 13, 2012
April 5, 2012
March 1, 2012
December 1, 2011
September 1, 2011
March 3, 2011
February 3, 2011
October 7, 2010
May 6, 2010
April 7, 2010
February 4, 2010
December 3, 2009
November 5, 2009
October 8, 2009
September 3, 2009
April 1, 2008
March 6, 2008
October 18, 2007